The OpenCrypt registration form can be completely customised to gather the information you require from your users.
This is achieved with a combination of templates, which allow you to customise the look of the form, and custom form fields, which enable you to gather information specific to your site.
Basic configuration of register.cgi can be completed in the Administration panel.
To setup the basic look of the form (and of manage.cgi) visit the Configuration - System Settings - Templates and Styles - Styles and Colours Configuration of the OpenCrypt Administration Panel, further information can be found at http://www.opencrypt.com/faq.php?q=195
If you wish to change the layout of the templates themselves, or re-arrange certain elements of the form, they can be edited directly or through the Configuration - System Settings - Templates and Styles section of the OpenCrypt Administration panel. More information can be found at http://www.opencrypt.com/faq.php?q=197
Certain sections of the registration form can have their position within the form moved directly from the configuration or be disabled and enabled completely, for example Terms and Conditions can be placed as part of the registration form, or shown before the form. These settings can be changed in the OpenCrypt Administration panel, under the section Configuration - System Settings - Register.cgi and Manage.cgi configuration. More information can be found at http://www.opencrypt.com/faq.php?q=196
For the duration of this article, this will be referred to as the 'Register and Manage Configuration.'
Custom Form Fields can also be added to the registration form to enable you to collect specific information from your users. Custom Form Fields can be configured from the OpenCrypt Administration Panel, in the section Configuration - System Settings - Custom Form Fields. Further information can be found at http://www.opencrypt.com/faq.php?q=13
For the duration of this article, this will be referred to as the 'Custom Form Fields Configuration.'
- Terms and Conditions: In the example included, the first item in the registration form is the Terms and Conditions. It is currently enabled to be included in the registration form rather than displayed before the form, this option is set in the Register and Manage Configuration. The Terms text is editable through the Adminsitration Panel, in Configuration - System Settings - Templates and Styles - Open Text Template - Text.pl. Please be careful modifying this template as it contains Perl code.
- Username: We have given the user the option to choose their own username (other options are 'Auto-Generated Username' and 'Use e-mail address as Username') and defined that it must be between 8 and 255 characters long. These settings are controlled in the Register and Manage Configuration.
- Password: We have also given the user the option to enter their own password (instead of OpenCrypt automatically generating it) and defined that it must also be between 8 and 255 characters long. These settings are configured in the Register and Manage Configuration.
- E-mail: E-mail address is required for all registrations, in this case, we have e-mail activation disabled (does not check to ensure the e-mail address is valid). This feature is configured in the Register and Manage Configuration.
- Name: Name fields (Title, First Name and Surname) are normally requested on registration, they may be disabled if required, from the Register and Manage Configuration.
- Coupon Code: The Coupon Code allows you to offer coupon discounts to users, this option will appear on the registration form if you have the OpenCrypt Affiliates Add-On installed. Should you wish to remove this, clear the following template: affilliate-register-entry.tmpl
- Address: The Address fields are configured as a group of Custom Form Fields in the Custom Form Fields Configuration. In this example, Address Line 2 is the only one not to have the 'Required' parameter set. Postal Code has a significanly smaller size than the other TextBox fields. Country is a DropMenu type field with a number of countries defined, along with an error message for no selection, and search-enabled for user record searches from the Administration panel.
- Subscription: We have two subscription types currently defined for the user to choose from. If we had preselected these with a query string, they would not be visible to the user.
- Additional Products: Additional Products allow you to sell additional products along with the standard registration. This feature can be enabled in the Register and Manage Configuration, and products themselves defined in the General Settings - Products section of the OpenCrypt Administration Panel. If e-mail activation is enabled, these will be displayed after the user has confirmed their account is valid.
Workflow options for register.cgi
Depending on your configuration, register.cgi can be displayed in a combination of different workflows:
E-mail Activation Disabled: With e-mail activation disabled, your options are to choose whether the Terms and Conditions appears before the main registration form, or as part of it.
E-mail Activation Enabled: With e-mail activation enabled, Terms and Conditions can be set to appear before the main registration form, or as part of it. Additional products, and the Purchase options if used will appear after e-mail activation (to ensure you have a valid account before accepting payment.) You can choose whether Custom Form Fields appear as part of the main registration form, or after e-mail activation.